Monday 4 January 2016

Once a Mountain


I was a bride dressed in fine green
With air, water and soil clean
The moving clouds above me would greet me everyday with a warm ‘hello’.
As the rains that poured from it, I would with great delight swallow.
The butterflies, birds, bees and the beast
And with the sun rising to my east
While the city to my south did lie
As it stealthily crawled and sprawled towards me, for me to die.

Men blasted, quarried and plundered me of my natural wear
 My rocky bones they all did lay bare
O, the waters of my soul has ebbed
As settlements, factories and industries lie scattered disheveled in a concrete web.

I was once a mountain
The tribes life of simplicity in a fountain
What was once a trail in my body
In now criss-crossed by metalled roads which looks shoddy.
Where are the springs, streams, brooks and water-falls?
Did you hear my final desperate call?
The wind laments as it wails over my empty breast
While the people silently look over me dying in Nature’s nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment